Themes: Remote Sensing, Grasslands, Insurance, Livestock, Market Analysis
VanderSat is an earth observation company, based in Haarlem, the Netherlands. We have developed a patented method to provide high-resolution observations of soil moisture anywhere on earth, every day. Based on our unique soil moisture dataset, we have successfully developed and marketed drought/soil moisture excess index crop insurance together with partners in the insurance sector. In 2020 we were operational in 11 countries in the world, while adding another 6. Around EUR2M of insurance premium was covered, representing over 325.000 hectares of agricultural land insured.
We are now looking to launch a new product: pasture index insurance, and we need your help to realize this! The objective of this internship is to envision and implement a next generation pasture insurance product by learning from existing case studies, identifying limitations and leveraging the strength of our datasets. The internship combines a market study with a technical analysis.
The internship activities will include (but not limited to):
Evaluate market and technical potential based on case studies of pasture index insurance
● Market analysis
- Identify target clients and regions with a high potential for pasture index insurance
- Stakeholder mapping exercise of active insurance companies
- Competition analysis
● Technical analysis
- Identify limitations of current pasture insurance products in the market
- Identify strengths of the Vandersat data in the area of pasture insurance
- High level product design
● Example cases: Index insurances for grasslands – A review for Europe and North-America (Vroege et al. 2019)
Investigate the possibility to develop a pasture index with VanderSat data (Soil Moisture, Vegetation Optical Depth, Land Surface Temperature, Biomass proxy)
- Join the VanderSat insurance team in a R&D project on pasture index insurance in Kazakhstan
- Develop pasture index for a selected geography in a pilot study (results under activity 1) will provide focus
Provide recommendations for VanderSat to proceed to a possible roll out
VanderSat is looking for a creative and initiative-oriented student with good python skills, who has an affinity for economical/market studies/environmental/agricultural modeling. You will be supervised by a team of remote sensing specialists and business developers. The activities can be performed remotely. Being able to host you at our office in Haarlem is dependent on the progression of the current C-19 situation – we hope this will be possible.